2017 Fall Workshop
October 29 – 31, 2017 | Hyatt Regency Savannah
Call for Proposals for the 2017 Fall Workshop
The SACUBO Professional Development Committee invites you to submit a proposal for the SACUBO Fall Workshop to be held October 29-31, 2017 at the Hyatt Regency Savannah, Savannah, GA.
Presenting at the meeting offers an opportunity to share effective strategies and showcase solutions to manage many of the challenges facing higher education today. The meeting typically brings together more than 450 college and university business officers, including CFO's, Vice Presidents of Finance & Administration, AVP's of Finance, Controllers, Comptrollers, Accountants, Budget Directors, AVP's of Facilities, Auxiliary Directors and others.
Submissions with in-depth and practical treatments of any of the following topic areas are welcome:
- The Trump Administration and Higher Education
- Controlling Healthcare Costs
- Sustainable Investing
- SACUBO Benchmarking – How are you using the data?
- International Tax Issues
- Tax topics: Employee vs. Contractor, UBIT, taxable benefits, etc.
- Accessibility, particularly for websites and online classes
- The "Free" college obsession: Ideas to make higher education more affordable
- Public Information Requests
- Mental Health Issues in Higher Education
- Higher Ed Collaborations with Public Education - charter schools, early college high schools, etc.
- Competency Based Education - How to build the financial model, financial aid, etc.
- Other hot topics in higher education
Guidelines for Submissions:
- Sessions are 50 minutes in length and are presented twice, back-to-back.
- Accepted proposals will not be assigned a specific date and time until two months prior to the meeting. Presenters should be available to speak on any day of the meeting.
- Proposals should include at least one presenter from a SACUBO member institution.
- Speakers will be asked to complete a speaker agreement.
- The proposal should be a brief one-paragraph summary of the presentation that will be used for the meeting program and should include two to three learning objectives.
- As a thank-you for presenting, one speaker from selected sessions will receive a complimentary registration to the Fall Workshop!
- Vendors should contact Eddie Mills, Sponsorship Coordinator.
- The deadline for submission is May 31, 2017. Notifications will be sent by June 30, 2017.
For more information, contact a member of the Professional Development Committee:
The Board commissioned an ad hoc committee to work with a design agency to identify important association attributes and how they could best be incorporated into the SACUBO brand.
During the brand discovery phase, the committee examined SACUBO’s current brand attributes and what aspects of the current brand needed to change to align with the new 5-year strategic plan. Changes were needed for SACUBO to effectively reflect its mission—to contribute to superior higher education financial and administrative services by providing relevant professional development, thought leadership, and issue advocacy.
While SACUBO wants to preserve important traditions, it wants to also improve its contributions to higher education, move into the future, and stay current with the challenges of the time. As the committee considered what our brand represents, four words came to mind: Innovate. Educate. Advocate. Lead.
In keeping with our branding, the committee sought a simple, clean, professional, modern, cutting edge, and unique look. The white abstract “S” represents the southern region. The abstract stairs reflect moving forward and rising up. The stairs also represent the programs and tools SACUBO offers individuals and their organizations to advance to the next level. The red and gray represents the brick and mortar of SACUBO’s member institutions.
The Board wholeheartedly endorses this new logo and believes it will effectively serve our organization for many years. We thank the ad hoc committee for their outstanding work on this challenging project.
The Southern Association of College and University Business Officers was founded in 1928 to inform higher education institutions in the southern region ofthe United States of issues that affect higher education. The purpose of the association is to foster, develop, and promote improved principles and efficient practices in the business and financial management of colleges and universities.
SACUBO is one of four regional associations that constitute the National Association of College and University Business Officers (NACUBO). NACUBO is headquartered in Washington, D.C., and represents the needs of higher education as well as acting as a clearing house for information and professional development. The other three regional associations are CACUBO, EACUBO, andWACUBO. A website showing professional development opportunities for SACUBO, NACUBO, and other regional associations can be found at theNACUBO PREP site.